Monday, September 16, 2024

T20 World Cup: Chris Jordan delivers on Barbados return as England reach semi-finals

Must read

Jordan grew up idolising Lara and the other West Indies greats of the era but this was his moment at the famous old ground.

He bowled Ali Khan with a delivery that sent off stump cartwheeling, trapped Nosthush Kenjige lbw before Saurabh Netravalkar was knocked over as he backed away towards the stands Jordan used to sit, such was the ferocity.

It came with his family watching the stands.

“My family actually doesn’t get to travel the world and watch me play a lot of international cricket,” Jordan said.

“So, to do it in front of them definitely is right up there [among the best moments of his career].”

The list of Jordans in the stands was not small. There was mum, dad, sister, brother-in-law and nephew to name a few.

“My nephew’s the one because he called me this morning and said, ‘make sure you take three wickets today if you’re playing’,” Jordan said.

“I looked up and he’s jumping up. One day he might be out there trying to do the same thing. You end up trying to be a role model.”

This World Cup has been a homecoming for Jordan and team-mate Jofra Archer, who was also born in Barbados but now represents England.

Some might have expected to hear resentment from the locals, disappointment at their decision to move away from West Indies and instead play for England, but instead they have been cheered at every turn.

At England’s first match of the tournament there were groups of schoolchildren in the stands from their former schools.

The roar when Archer’s name was read out was the loudest of the day. Afterwards both bowlers were invited to the prime minister’s box.

Latest article